Catenaccio Special Feature: Interview with Roberto Stillo




Few Canadians have ever bent grass blades of Italian soccer fields, and even fewer were born in Canada.

Robert Stillo, a 23 year old Mississauga native is living the dream of so many Italian-Canadian Serie A enthusiasts: to play soccer in Italy.

Robert is a self-declared "crazy Canuck goalie", currently plying his trade at AC Perugia Calcio. The Grifoni, once a hotbed of soccer featuring Japanese superstar Hidetoschi Nakata and South Korean Jung-Hwan Ahn, is currently looking to revive past glory and is fighting for promotion in the Lega Pro.

Stillo is currently on loan to Perugia, a city he says he's in love with, from none other than Serie A's Parma FC.

Robert granted me an interview, in which we talked about his soccer background, his present and his prospects for the future.


Tell me about your career in Canada. Which soccer clubs did you play for there and for how long?

"Growing up in Mississauga I played for my local club Erin Mills, and spent all my Canadian career there playing two years up before I left for italy. I was also a part of the provincial team representing Ontario at the under-14 and under-15 level". 


How did your move to Italy happen?

"My Dad played professional volleyball in Italy and he had a friend that knew a club director at a club in Vercelli. Luckily I did well during my time there and got picked up by Genoa CFC while also going on trial at Inter and AC Milan". 




Who was your childhood soccer idol?

"Growing up watching the Serie A and since my family are Roma fans, I would have to say the legendary Francesco Totti was my idol. As a goalie though I definitely idolize Iker Casillas, as well as Gigi Buffon who I was lucky enough to meet last season".


Meeting Buffon must have been a tremendous experience, how did it happen, what did he tell you?


"Before Genoa-Juventus, I asked Sebastien Frey, Genoa's starting goalie last year, if he could some how get me Buffon's jersey. Luckily Seba said he knew Gigi (Buffon) well after playing against him for years and doing ads for Reusch (the glove company). Before the game as we went out for warm up Buffon came out at the same time and I had the immense pleasure of meeting my childhood idol. He was very kind and humble. He encouraged me to keep working hard and to follow my dreams. After the game Seba came back into the changeroom with Buffon's jersey over his shoulder and handed it to me. It was one of the few time's I've been left starstruck and speechless. An experience I will never forget!"



Most children grow up with a ball at their feet and dream to become Zidane, Maradona or Pele. How did you become a goalkeeper? 

"It all started at school. Playing at recess my team would always lose so one day I got fed up and went in net. I loved diving around and saving goals, for me that was a better feeling than scoring them, so from then on I started playing goalie!"


They say goalkeepers are all a little crazy...would you say that you're a little crazy? 

"Well that is 100% true. You have to be crazy to dive in front of shots or down at a players feet, that is something 'normal' people wouldn't do! I haven't done anything too crazy as of yet, but I would have to say any of my reactions after saving a penalty shot. It is a huge adrenaline rush and I usually can't help letting out a scream or a fist pump".





How did you adjust to life in Italy when you moved there? What was the easiest thing and which the toughest? 

"I would have to say I adjusted pretty well, I turned 16 there which is extremely young to be on your own. I was lucky to start off in a small city like Vercelli and get to know the culture a bit better. There weren't too many easy things to be honest, my first few months were tough. The easiest thing to adjust to though was probably the food, I don't think many people would have problems with the food in Italy! The hardest was definitely being away from my family. I am very close to my parents and sister, and growing up and maturing on my own was hard but it made me realize that this is what I want to do and how badly I wanted (and still want) to succeed".


Giuseppe Rossi and Jorginho were both born and raised in other countries but declared for Italy. How would you respond to a call up from the Italian national team?

"I am a proud Canadian, but a call from the Italian national team would be hard to turn down! So many legendary goalkeepers have played for them and as I mentioned before my idol Buffon plays for them so it would be an honour to wear the Italian shirt".



Have you had call ups from Canada (even in the youth ranks), if yes how many caps? If not, would you respond to a call-up?

"I represented Canada at the under-20 level and last January was called up to the Men's National Team but didn't play. I love my country and I don't think there is a bigger honour as a professional athlete than to represent your country. So, with that being said I would definitely respond and hopefully it comes soon!"




How are you enjoying your time at Perugia? What's your next move? 

"Perugia has been a pretty good experience. Unfortunately, playing time has been limited but the team is fighting to go up to Serie B and I love the city. I have a contract with Parma but in soccer you never know what the future holds, so at the end of the season I'll evaluate my options and make a move that is best for me! 

Being a Canadian soccer player I realize how blessed I am to have had all these amazing experiences, meet and play with and against so many great players in Italy and I am very anxious/excited to get a chance to become a starting goalkeeper somewhere and start what is hopefully a long and illustrious career!"

In his latest appearance for Perugia, Stillo came on for his colleague Jan Koprivec who was expelled for a "last man" foul on Aquila's Iniacio Pià. As the former Napoli forward stepped up to take the ensuing penalty, Stillo gave his own impersonation of Buffon, saving the penalty in stoic fashion! Here is the save: 




And here is what Robert told A Tutto Grifo after the match:



CatenaccioNA wishes Robert success at Perugia and awaits - like all fans of Canadian soccer - his debut in Serie A and in the Canadian men's national soccer team.     


Special thanks to Anthony Totera for his peer review and for making this interview possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#SerieA Road Trip Personal Blog Day 8, Paying Respects to Crosstown Rivals

My very personal wish to Juventus on her 120th birthday

My Champions League Final